25.8.09

Cain's iPod Playlist Part I

Ten Kens

Album: Ten Kens

Home Base: Toronto, Ontario, CA

Members:

Dan Workman
Brett Paulin
John Sullivan
Ryan Roantree

Released on FatCat Records UK 2008

I came across this band a year ago on MySpace.com and thought I'd check their album out on iTunes just for the hell of it! At first listen this Toronto based foursome took me back in a time machine to the grungy rock of the early nineties Seattle sound, then I was hit with a little Surf Rock, yet I am unable to slide this album into a genre nor solidly describe Ten Kens' sound. Some of their rhythms are very original with an often funky circa 1994 Tarantino film Pulp Fiction beat and an all around groove you can cruise the highways to... Or just get on your bicycle and ride the streets to these musical waves!

Faust

Album: Faust IV

Home Base: Germany - although members are believed to be scattered about!

Original Members:

Werner "Zappi" Diermaier
Arnulf Meifer
Hans Joachim Irmler
Jean-Hervé Péron Rudolf Sosna
Gunter Wüsthoff

Faust was first introduced to me by my friend and musician Eric "The Red" Donaldson (Rico And The Late Night Guava Machine, Nechako, Slosho, and currently lead vocalist for Rock Truck) in 2007. Back then I just shoved these guys off as just another psychedelic '70s rock band makin' some noise, but soon realized after being reintroduced to this band via Myspace.com in early 2008 that this was German Krautrock at it's finest! With a vast array of riffs that you can really move to and some down tempo instrumentals in between, Faust will take you on a trip all the way to Germany of you like, or over to your friends back yard for a cold beer and some chill time! I listen to it while I'm cleaning haus;)

Can

Album: Tago Mago

Home Base: West Germany

*Members:

Holger Czukay
Michael Karoli
Jaki Liebezeit
Irmin Schmidt

I initially came across Can while listening to Faust as Can is also listed under the Krautrock genre, yet I avidly began listening to them through Robin Sharrock who has in his possession Can's 1971 experimental rock album Tago Mago. What I love about Can is there quirky rhythms and worldly drum beats. "Paperhouse" has to be my favourite track from this album, although all compositions on Tago Mago are equally unique! Great music to tap your toe to or pull out your bongos and have a go!

*Other Members Included: Malcolm Mooney, Damo Suzuki, Rosko Gee, Rebop Kwaku Baah... among many other collaborators.

Scott Walker

Album: Pola X Soundtrack

Home Base: Unknown

Members:

Scott Walker (Birth Name: Noel Scott Engel)

Formerly of:

The Walker Brothers


Once an emerging teen idol of the late 1950s as Scott Engel, the man now known as Scott Walker went on to play in several bands, eventually joining the 1960's Pop group The Walker Brothers as the band's smooth crooning, lady swooning lead vocalist. After a few albums and an evolving music scene, the band split and Scott's experimental talents emerged into a solo career. He possesses a deep baritone voice that will send shivers through your brain! My first audio encounter with Scott Walker was through a biographical film called "30 Century Man". I was floored as my jaw dropped into my chest! This deep, penetrating voice spoke to me through my PC speakers to the sound of the greatest percussion instruments and objects I have ever heard! What an original talent full of innovative ideas for sound manipulation. Scott is truly a musical genius! Have a listen to Pola X, a soundtrack produced by Scott Walker that includes some of his own compositions.

Other Notable Scott Walker Albums:

Tilt












The Drift












Scott 3

To be continued...

0 comments: